Tuesday 21 September 2021

Thoughts on BBC interview

Thoughts on BBC interview
I would like to share some thoughts with you about a recent interview of an afghan student who had lost her hope to study for becoming a journalist, because Taliban have closed Secondaries Schools in her country. I was listening it in my way to school and I almost cried. Listen it from min. 6:40 to 10:12. https://podcasts.apple.com/es/podcast/hotel-rwanda-hero-convicted-on-terror-charges/id135067274?i=1000536078426 “Every religion says men and women are equal,” says the Afghan girl in a BBC interview. However, at the hands of the Taliban, that has not been the reality for Afghan women not only in education but in every other aspect imaginable. As a woman and teacher, this resonates deeply, yet I feel helpless since I will never be able to fully understand the struggle that these women go through daily. The least I can do for these women is to educate myself and others about what is happening in Afghanistan and challenge the ignorance and bias the media conveys about their culture and religion. I want people to learn and understand that the way these women are treated, is not due to their religion of Islam. It is due to these extremists who only see the sides of the Quran that appeal to men. Since we live in developed and privileged countries, it is critical that we recognize how good we have it in life, and that every day we are grateful that we have a comparably fair advantage in education and careers.

No comments:

Post a Comment